- Programmatic text formatting in Google Sheets with Google Apps Script
As part of a recent side project I've been exploring ways to apply rich text formatting to Google Sheets programmatically. Google Workspace (previously G Suite) comes with an extensive suite of APIs for interacting with its products called Google…Read
- A start to my General Transit Feed Specification project: GTFS to SQL
I've recently came across General Transit Feed Specification (GTFS) files when looking for a way to build my own version of Go Transit's (terrible) website to look at train times. Turns out these are dense information files which are next to…Read
- Stack Upgrade: Ditching google Chrome for Firefox Quantum
From Google Chrome to Firefox Developer Edition With Google Chromes proposed changes to the WebRequest about to render ad blockers as we know them defunct I thought it was time I commit to switching to another browser for both work and personal use…Read
- MacOS: Creating a right click option to copy a file path
Sometimes you just really need a file path. You've got a file open in Finder, and you just need the path. Ideally without going through the usual drag-and-drop into Terminal and/or take note of the file location then your way back. The goal. A…Read
- Recreating the field set <legend> effect, just without the field set
The Ask I had a dilemma. A seemingly simple design element that featured a line of text with a border starting from each end and stretching out to the edge of the container. Something like this: Note the background gradient. My first idea here would…Read
- I think I’ve survived my first winter in Canada!
He says optimistically... The weeks are flying by for me here in Canada. It must be the cold weather and wishing summer was here, or that spring refuses to stick around for longer than a few hours. I've almost been here six months now so I thought it…Read
- zxcvbn – A sensible password strength estimator
Password requirements should get out of the user’s way. The often restrictive password requirements limiting users to a password of just 8 characters and forcing symbol use ignores one of the main parts of password security. Length. Bonus XKCD comic…Read
- Sending a variable as an attachment with PHP Mailer
Recently I've been working on a on-boarding application for an agency client that involved some fallback processes if their CRM write failed. The client requested we send them an email with the form data attached as JSON, so they could manually…Read
- Where was I when 2015 turned into 2016? Is that where I wanted to be?
2015 was an interesting year for me, finally finished my undergraduate degree in Multimedia Web Design, graduating with a 2:1. More of a relief than anything. Other 2015 highlights of mine include: A successful trip to Cheltenham Races in March, My…Read
- As long as human beings have the element of choice and exercise that element of choice, technology will stay the slave and man its master.
The following is an essay I wrote during my University degree: As technology intersects more and more aspects of peoples lives is becoming more difficult to avoid the encroachment of technology into our lives. With an estimated 73% of adults in the…Read